Re: [Poqetpc] Any Poqet PCs for Sale?

Sven,

I was reading, in my crawl around the Poqet web, that both units had PCMCIA slots, but that the implementation might be a little off in the Pad as the slots had not quite been standardized when they were built.

From a practical standpoint PoqetPad's only make sense if you can edit and develop applications on a more accessable desktop. My guess is that any application in use on a PoqetPad would have to be a check box type app.
But, the two new ones I bought on e-bay, at a way cheap price, are just too cute to let lay around. A modern PDA running Windows is more practical and more powerful, but not near as rugged. "Mondo" is a word that comes to mind for the PoqetPad. If I could just get a modern PDA with this screen size.
Sorry for running on. The deal is that the PoqetPad book says that you have to run three programs from config.sys for the system to recognize PCMCIA cards. PQSS, PQCCU and PQCARD. These can be run from config.sys or autoexec.bat in the Plus series. According to the files I am reading now. It also says that all three files need to be inserted in the file prior to execution of PQAUTO. PQAUTO searches all the drives looking for a valid autoexec.bat file. (Hmmmm.)
And if there is an autoexec.bat on that drive then the card drivers have to be loaded prior through config.sys. Hmmmm. So, it seems that every drive is a boot drive.
I might have answered my own question.
I will format a 512MB type III card with dos five. and SYS it. Then I will copy the files that are on the PoqetPad, (downloaded from the net to my desktop), to the 512 drive. and try to boot from that. If that works then I will continue to work on the data base checklist that I had envisioned for this little thing when I bought it. If not then it is on to more recent pads that already run well, like the Fujitsu Stylistic ST1000.

Bryant

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sven Utcke" <utcke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 02, 2006 1:18 PM
Subject: Re: [Poqetpc] Any Poqet PCs for Sale?

Hello Terry,

I don't know about the PoqetPad, but the Poqet PC won't see anything
larger than 2Mb (4Mb for the PoqetPlus), and it won't see a CF card
at all.

Nope, that's definitely wrong (for the plus), I routinely use a 32MB CF-card in the PoqetPC Plus. My guess for a limit would be 512MB...

However, (as previously stated) I was never able to get the Poqetpad
to read any of my CF-cards, either because card and socket services
were missing (and I either didn't try the drivers from the poqet plus,
or the drivers didn't work with the poqetpad), or maybe because there
really is such a limit on size for the poqetpad --- however, in my
understanding this only applies to SRAM cards...

Sven
--
_ __ The Cognitive Systems Group
| |/ /___ __ _ ___ University of Hamburg
| ' </ _ \/ _` (_-< phone: +49 (0)40 42883-2576 Vogt-Koelln-Strasse 30
|_|\_\___/\__, /__/ fax : +49 (0)40 42883-2572 D-22527 Hamburg
|___/ http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~utcke/home.html