- Diploma (Dipl.-Ing.) 1967, TH Darmstadt, W. Germany
- M.S. 1968, MIT, Cambridge, Mass.
- Ph.D. 1971, MIT, Cambridge, Mass.
Dissertation: "The Capacity of Gaussian Feedback Channels with Memory"
(Supervisors: P. Elias, R. Gallager, MIT)
9/71 - 5/82
Dozent (assistant professor) at the Department of Computer Science, University of Hamburg
Universitätsprofessor (full professor) at the Department of Computer Science, University of Hamburg
head of the research group "Cognitive Systems"
head of the Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, University of Hamburg
scientific director of MAZ GmbH, Hamburg
- member of GI, ACM, AAAI, IEEE
- 10/85 - 10/88: chairman of the committee "Artificial Intelligence and Pattern Recognition"
(German national AI society)
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board for DFKI (German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence)
- Chairman of IFIP TC-12 "Artificial Intelligence"
Major research projects
- development of an experimental system for image sequence
analysis (1971 - 1975)
- recognition of partially occluded objects (1976 - 1977)
- 3D reconstruction from multiple views (1977 - 1981)
- natural language description of image sequences (1981 - 1984)
- natural language consultation dialogue (joint industrial project WISBER)
- expert system shell for configuration problems (joint industrial project TEX-K 1986 - 1990)
- high-level motion prediction and image sequence analysis (1984 - 1992)
- reasoning about physical systems (joint projects BEHAVIOR and PROKON since 1991)
- knowledge based aerial image interpretation (since 1991)
- technical drawing interpretation (1990 - 1993)
- technology transfer of innovative diagnosis methods (joint project INDIA 1995 - 1999)
- contents-based web information retrieval (project BAND)
- High-level scene interpretation (project CogVis 2001 - 2004)