HowTo get a User-Account
[New users - staff]
[New users - students]
HowTo get a User-Account - Users
New members of staff
- 1. Get an account with the
- You will need this in order to get a
proper mail-address, and in order to use our Windows-PCs, so
you might just as well do this now. You can apply
for an RZ account at the
operating in house D, room D107.
- 2. Continue as described below...
- The remainder is the same for staff and students.
New members of staff and students
- 3. Fill in a formal application for an account.
- You can get the form from
You need to fill in the form and get it signed by either
Prof. Neumann (if you are a member of Staff) or by your
supervisor, if you are a student. You can now take the filled
in form to Dieter Jessen or Sven Utcke who will create the
account for you. Note: you need to be
personally present before the account will be enabled!
- 4. Acquaint yourself with the system.
- Even if you have used Unix before, you might find it useful
to have a look at our
(sorry, currently the description is only available in German)
which is used to manage software versions.
You might also want to have a look at the
of our groupware calender
And finally, once you have an account, have a look at my first
attempt at an
(currently again only in German).
HowTo create a User-Account - System-Administrator
Additional Information about usermanagement can be found
- Check the Benutzerantrag (application for an account).
- Advice the user about proper passwords:
- Passwords should not be based on any words which could
be found in a dictionary, including dictionaries of
Cantonese, Uzbek, or Swahili.
- Adding additional characters to dictionary-based
passwords is no help!
- A good password can be found based on a
book-/song-title etc by taking the first/last/3rd letter
of each word, plus some punctuation or special characters.
- Run ~utcke/bin/create_user to create a new
account. Simply answer all the questions. When asked for a
password, allow the user to type in his chosen password, or
type Ctrl-D. Twice.
- If the user is a new member of staff, send a mail to Reinhard Zierke requesting that the users
RZ-mail-account will be mapped to his KOGS-mail-account.
- If the user is a new member of staff, add him to
If the user is working for CogVis, add him to either
- Add the user to
- If the new user is a member of staff, create a
Tutos-Account and add him to the kogs and possible
the cogvis teams.
- If the user wasn't present when his account was first
created, you can at any time enable his account by typing (as
at the prompt.
last modified: 24-Aug-2006