Re: Dos...

> > Now t the operating systems: there is a Linux- Variant called Minix
> > (minix.org), which is capable to run an a 8086, but as far as i know it
> > can't be started from dos and there aren't any drivers for memory- cards
> > (I'm not sure)...
>
> Does it do anything usefull?

http://www.minix.org/

It runs.  It will recompile itself (it comes with source), you can do C
development on it.  Its a multitasking, multiuser UNIX-like system, and you
should be able to run most UNIX tools - so if you like vi, it'll run (a cut
down version) of that.  Things like that.

It would appear that there is a boot util to boot MINIX from inside DOS, but
whether that will do what is needed on the PC3K I don't know.

All the installation instructions appear to assume that you have a floppy
drive, altho one of the options it gives is for 360K floppies.

I don't have a memory card for my PC3K (squirming around inside 1mb..) so
I've not been able to do anything really nifty for it; I once had vague
plans to attach a pair of transceivers to the serial ports of the PC3K and
my Linux box and have a wireless dumb terminal for my house...