Re: first palmtop?

>  > > is it safe to say that the Poqet Classic was the first palmtop?
>  >
>  > Don't think so.  The first one I ever saw was the Atari Portfolio,
>  > which I'm sure predates the Poqet.  And of course that's only
>
> ah, thanks -- didn't know about that one.  what OS did it run?

MS-DOS 2.11 compatible, I think.

>  > DOS-based computers we are talking about --- what about the 8-bit
>  > machines?  I would think that some sharps or HPs might well be classed
>  > as palmtops too...
>
> i guess i was thinking of general purpose palm-sized computers.  but
> then, i suppose that would eliminate some of the current palmtops as
> well, eh?  :-)

Probably.  And of course it depends on the definition of general
purpose.  I guess that 20 years from now most of our current computers
would not be considered general purpose, as they are simply to small
and slow to "run anything useful".  And in the same way general
purpose probably meant much less in 1990 than it does now.

>  > The Portfolio is even smaller.  Hmm.  When exactly was the Poqet
>  > released?  What about the quaderno or the HP95 or somesuch?
>
> i'm pretty sure it was before the HP95 -- and the quaderno was the
> olivetti machine?

Yep.

Sven
--
 _  __                     The Cognitive Systems Group
| |/ /___  __ _ ___                                       University of Hamburg
| ' </ _ \/ _` (_-<  phone:    +49 (0)40 42883-2576      Vogt-Koelln-Strasse 30
|_|\_\___/\__, /__/  fax  :    +49 (0)40 42883-2572             D-22527 Hamburg
          |___/ http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~utcke/home.html