Rebuilding Poqet Plus battery packs

Hello, Everyone.  I'm new to the list ...

I own three Poqet PC Plus computers, which I acquired used.  I have a
half-dozen battery packs, but none of them hold a charge for long.  I'd like
to rebuild the battery packs, although I am by no means an expert in
electronics.

I tried rebuilding one pack, following AA2VK's instructions at:

http://www.njqrp.org/poqetpc/aa2vk%20review.html

I used Rayovac IC3 AA NiMH 2000mAh AA rechargables.  (The packaging said
these would charge in 15 minutes using Rayovac's patented IC3 charger, but
also said that they were usable with any charger, although wouldn't charge as
quickly.

I tried charging the rebuilt battery pack both inside a Poqet Plus (plugged
into an AC adapter, with computer power off), and with a Poqet external
charger.  The batteries charged enough to boot up the computer, but within
just a minute or two the battery warning LCD came on.  I don't know if the
battery pack ever charged fully.

My goal is to be able to get some decent operating life WITH THE POQET'S
BACKLIGHT ON with rebuilt packs.  Is this possible?  Is there any particular
type/brand of rechargeable AAs that people have had success with in
rebuilding these battery packs?  Any other portable power alternatives worth
considering?

Many, many thanks!

All best wishes.

Rob Sawyer

=====
ROBERT J. SAWYER, Science Fiction Writer

 Best Novel HUGO AWARD winner for HOMINIDS
 Best Novel NEBULA AWARD winner for THE TERMINAL EXPERIMENT

 http://www.sfwriter.com    *    sawyer@xxxxxxxxxxxx