Re: [Poqetpc] How to get a Poqet PC to work

Hi

Answers to your newbie questions, advise on best DOS
editors and games, and a hinge problem you probably
have...

First, three ways to tranfer files in/out of your
Poqet.

(1) PCMCIA SRAM cards, original only up to 2 meg.
Should be one or two in the underside of your Poqet,
slide open the doors. Those appear as ordinary "A" and
"B" drives, may need new batteries if they don't
charge up. They will work in the PC card slot of a
computer with Win95 or older, some claim success with
newer versions of Windows. For 2mg card, have to make
small change to config.sys file, see the Poqet site.

(2) Watch eBay for a Poqet cable to connect your Poqet
to your home computer, probably have to spend a bit
more than your $15 and get it along with a spare
Poqet. To print, watch for a Poqet parallel port
cable.

(3) Watch eBay for a Poqet floppy disk drive, rare.

Other matters:

Take a close look at the right hinge and side wall for
cracks.  Slap shipping tape on any, or read up on glue
repairs. The aging hinge will break off if you don't.

The built-in editor only handles small files, you'll
need a tiny DOS editor that works solid under the
Poqet's power management.  I just tested over 50, and
the best for my purposes with word wrap and minimal or
no memorizing of commands were WitzEdit, QEdit, SLED,
and TinyEd (free, smallest, does all, clutsy).  If you
only have a 64K card or don't need word wrap, use the
simple 3K TED.COM (free). Any of these will work
inside the file manager LIST. WitzEdit already
incorporates a lot of those functions and in less
total space, takes the prize for slick, and is only
$20 (free to try).

For games, Freecell and NYET (Tetris), both free on
DOS program sites.

Daryl