Fw: Sandisk Flash Disk Compatibility - any PC3K work arounds?

> Sven, Thanks for your quick response also - here is a follow-up from
> Stewart as well.  No BIOS hacks to overcome the PCMCIA rev2
> differences?

Nope.  There is actually an electrical difference, so any hack
overcoming the limitations of rev 1.x would involve at least a
soldering iron.  Sorry.

> The form factor will often fit though barely.

Don't confuse Revision 2.0 with Type II.  Type I, II and III are the
card form-factors (about 3mm, 5mm and 13mm --- forgot how much
exactly).  The Sharp is officially Type I, but you can usually insert
Type II (extracting them is a different matter :-).  It is also
Revision 1.0, which only specified interfaces for memory-cards, as
opposed to the current Revision 2.x, which can do modems,
network-cards, CDROM, you name it.  This will _not_ work in the Sharp
PC3100.

> > The SDP5-20 would work as well. Just remember that DOS 3.2 can't address
> > handle drives more than 32 MB (without tricks, hence the price of the ZIP
> > driver).

Well, it _can_ handle bigger drives, just not bigger partitions.  But
since sdisk probably does not support the creation of more than one
partition (haven't tried though), this probably boils down to the same
in this case...

> > browsers.  Re the cell phone, the challenge is that the PC3k slots are
> > PCMCIA rev. 1, while almost all modems need v.2.    There was one
> > specially-made modem for it, but that's all.

And that used proprietary software and reportedly was crap.  Anyone
knows a source for a decent 9600 pocket-modem?  I've got a 2400 pocket
modem, but that is _really_ slow (although I used it for about 4
months for Mail and News --- it is usable).

> > > Thanks for the quick response Stewart.  I think there may be a
> > > SDP5-20 (very rare).

Indeed.  And seeing how much I paid for the SDP5B-6 which does not
work in the sharp (it can be sdisked, but not sformatted --- why?)...

> > > Have you tried using WWW/LX?  I think it is another browser but
> > > for the HP200LX and supports graphics in a limited way.

Nettamer also supports graphics, but honestly, this is not much fun on
a CGA display...

> > > Have you tried using your PC3K with a cell phone?  Cell phone +
> > > Netttamer?  That I think would be my ultimate desired use for
> > > the PC3K!

I recently got a Motorola v50.  Just the form (and colour!) to go with
my Sharp.  But, alas, the serial connection is about US$ 100,-- and it
might not work at all --- rumour has it that the modem inside the
phone is a softmodem, requiring a much more powerful computer cum
windows.  Sigh!

Sven
--
      IBM Thinkpad 701C, 80486 DX4/75, 40MB RAM, 3.2GB HDD, Linux 2.0.36