Re: Q: flash card integration

Hello Chris,

> > >None that I know of. the general consensus seems to be that (only)
> > >SanDisk (used to be SunDisk) SDP5(A) models will work --- the 10Mb
> > >SDP5A-10 model is certain to work. However, these are not produced
> > >anymore, and it is unclear if other 5V models might work.  You also
> > >need DIPSSDP.SYS to make this card work...
>
> There is a *bit* of info at the ftp repository, for example in the
> FAQ contained therein.  Visit:
> ftp://hawk.psychol.ucl.ac.uk/pub/sharp-pc3k If you can't get access
> (I don't think this is an issue any more) drop me a line and I'll
> email it to you.

A tiny whee bit.  The pc-3k.faq basically says that "almost any SRAM
card can be used in the two slots".  However, the latest revision of
the faq is from 1997, and the above advice might be older still.
Whether Flash RAM cards (except for the one mentioned above) might be
used is completely unclear, all statements in the FAQ have been tested
for the HP95 only...

> > >The 1.5V variety works well, though not overly long.  the 1.2V ones
> > >don't work at all.
> >
> Just from my own personal experience, I beg to disagree with the latter -
> indeed it seems to vary from machine to machine as to the "threshold"
> voltage at which the PC3x00 is happy with (I have a vague recollection that
> this may be alterable via a trimpot in the machine, btw). Some units are ok
> with the lower-voltage, some aren't. Mine has regularly used 1.2/1.25V nicads
> and NiMHs quite successfully, although the sudden-death tendency of these
> batts is a worry (ie rather than the voltage ramping down gradually, it
> plummets rapidly) which means the little backup-battery gets eaten into (and
> that does not have a long life once all other power is removed...)  I've
> have a couple of nasty data-loss experiences over the years as a result of
> this.

My point.  You can use NiCd or NiMH, but they don't last long (in my
experience), and data-loss is near certain...

> > >What's the problem?
>
> Quite!  Not too sure what you mean, Michael.  If you mean where can you get
> one, Tandy/Radio Shack stock them (or at least used to)... email me if you
> want the catalogue number, I probably have it around somewhere.

Probably not much use for him, as he's sitting in Germany :-)

> I've subsequently bought an SRAM card which has restored much of my
> sanity ;-)

Just to add some little morsel to the common knowledge about the pc3k:
which card exactly are you using?

Greetings

Sven
--