Wireless Connectivity PCMCIA possible?

Thanks for the replies.  I am sure many of us would like to be able to make the PC3K useful as a wireless laptop link to a local PC.

>Battery usage would be another factor that would turn me off bigtime.
>Having the PC3K driving the serial port all the time == lots of main battery
>draw, plus there'd have to be an extra battery pack for the transmitter.
>
>| Tristan Rowley
>| tristan.rowley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I made a rechargeable battery pack for the PC3K using a relatively cheap 6 volt Camcorder battery ($6US discontinued surplus) and a suitable adapter plug.  Very simple project provided you obtain the right power plug (Sony type I believe).  Charges using a generic camcorder power supply which can also be had surplus.  Alternatively, this can be made to power a PC3K floppy drive as well (which goes through AA batteries in an gluttonous manner otherwise).  Be sure to observe polarities properly - identifiable with a volt ohm meter and labels.  DO NOT attempt if unsure about the polarity aspect.

I made this also because of concerns that even transient AC spikes would damage PC3K circuitry.  The one I made supplies about 1800 mA Hours if I recall (some of these compact battery packs go to 4000 mA Hours).  You could readily do the same with C or D cell Nicads or NiMH batteries and a battery holder though size and weight might be impractical.

>Type II might not be a problem.  But they are also Version 2.0 or
>above (as are all PCMCIA-modems) and can not be used in the PC 3000 or
>PC 3100.
>
>Sven

That would be unfortunate.  However, there are low speed (2400baud and possibly a 9600 baud Eiger) PCMCIA modems that do work in the PC3K series.  I would be happy even if it had to connect with the serial port or if the PCMCIA card needed a "dongle" to a larger transmitter pack.  There were plans by a PC3K listserv user for an IR link but that still chains you to the same room (line of sight).  Please also see above for my description of an economical homemade rechargeable power supply regarding relative ease of powering PC3K and add on projects.

I know that it is probably simpler to just add a PC Card reader to the PC and forget about connectivity (cost $25-$50 US).  But the concept of wireless connectivity is clearly being pushed by the likes of Steve Jobs at Apple with his Airport and the Palm VII (both expensive).  The form factor of the PC3K is excellent (small but functional keyboard).  Besides, why else is this message base alive except we want to innovate and squeeze more functionality out of PC3K's !

Regards to all