PCMCIA MODEM (WAS Wireless Connectivity PCMCIA possible?)

Hello John,

Monday, January 31, 2000, 10:07:54 AM, you wrote:

JH> Thanks for the replies.  I am sure many of us would like to be able to make the PC3K useful as a wireless laptop link to a local PC.

JH> I made a rechargeable battery pack for the PC3K using a relatively cheap 6 volt Camcorder battery ($6US discontinued surplus) and a suitable adapter plug.  Very simple project provided you obtain
JH> the right power plug (Sony type I believe).  Charges using a generic camcorder power supply which can also be had surplus.  Alternatively, this can be made to power a PC3K floppy drive as well
JH> (which goes through AA batteries in an gluttonous manner otherwise).  Be sure to observe polarities properly - identifiable with a volt ohm meter and labels.  DO NOT attempt if unsure about the
JH> polarity aspect.

JH> I made this also because of concerns that even transient AC spikes would damage PC3K circuitry.  The one I made supplies about 1800 mA Hours if I recall (some of these compact battery packs go to
JH> 4000 mA Hours).  You could readily do the same with C or D cell Nicads or NiMH batteries and a battery holder though size and weight might be impractical.

I was running my PC3k at 12 Volts and survived. (Of course it was not
my intent it was BIG mistake)

>>Type II might not be a problem.  But they are also Version 2.0 or
>>above (as are all PCMCIA-modems) and can not be used in the PC 3000 or
>>PC 3100. ...
>>
>>Sven

JH> That would be unfortunate.  However, there are low speed (2400baud and possibly a 9600 baud Eiger) PCMCIA modems that do work in the PC3K series.  I would be happy even if it had to connect with
JH> the serial port or if the PCMCIA card needed a "dongle" to a larger transmitter pack.  There were plans by a PC3K listserv user for an IR link but that still chains you to the same room (line of
JH> sight).  Please also see above for my description of an economical homemade rechargeable power supply regarding relative ease of powering PC3K and add on projects.

Do you know some example which modem is working? (Except Educalc
described in Faq) I was unsuccesfull in that way. I tried 14400 Modem.
I will be really happy if I can send e-mails without using external modem.
2400 bps is enough for me if it will be PCMCIA...

 regards,

 Radek