Re: Cables and or connectors

Hello Alex

> > Hello Alex.  Out of curiosity, are you able to use your PC3100 on a
> > wireless setup?  I assume that you may have that interesting option
> > based on the airtel.net e-mail address.  If yes, could you indicate
> > what kind of PCMCIA or other unit you use for connectivity?  Thank
> > you!
>
> There is so much to explore, but I am still far of such tests.. For
> now, I only own one PCMCIA card, which is an ethernet adaptor (for
> my laptop). If I plug it and reboot, I get "wrong PCMCIA card".

Very likely.  The pcmcia in the pc3k is Version 1.0 only (not to be
confused with type I, which is the thickness of the card --- and as
most of us know, although the sockets are nominally type I only, type
II will nonetheless just about fit --- although you might need a pair
of pliers to get the card out again :-).  Being Version 1.0 means that
it will only work for memory and for very few (basically: none)
io-cards for which the distributor took particular pain to design
special hardware and software to make them work with v. 1.0 even
though the standard never intended them to work...

> Moreover, I have now no connection at all with the outside world, so
> I can't upload any software to the machine (eg DOS TCP/IP, Nettamer
> or anything).  Conclusion: I need the cables first :-(

Absolutely --- in that case I would certainly follow Leo's advise on
how to solder your own (even if you can't solder yourself, you
probably know someone who can be bribed to do it, as it's really not
that much work).

On the other hand, even with a cable it's still painfull until you get
a decent program for syncing onto the pc3k.  So my advise would be to
buy a used sram card of ebay --- but be warned that prices for these
are rather steep.

> Connecting this mobile to the PC-3100 would be so great.

Well, have a look at
http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~utcke/Laptop/sharp-pc3100.html#mobile
http://home.hetnet.nl/~leo-arendsen/combi.htm

But then again, this would require a cable too, and chances are you
need to solder for this once more...

Sven
--
 _  __                     The Cognitive Systems Group
| |/ /___  __ _ ___                                       University of Hamburg
| ' </ _ \/ _` (_-<  phone:    +49 (0)40 42883-2576      Vogt-Koelln-Strasse 30
|_|\_\___/\__, /__/  fax  :    +49 (0)40 42883-2572             D-22527 Hamburg
          |___/ http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~utcke/home.html