Re: i've got the laptop

> > The laptop is probably a good way to go. You may even be able to
> > run Laplink on it, although this depends mainly on the speed of
> > the laptop.

Again, I believe very strongly that the laplink at
ftp://hawk.psychol.ucl.ac.uk/pub/sharp-pc3k/laplink.* should work
(although I haven't tried with anything above 400MHz --- but if it was
written in Turbo Pascal and therefore suffers from such a bug than
there should be patches around on the net).  Honestly, I would very
strongly advice you to use the laplink from the above address rather
than try and remote-install from the PC3K...

> That is interesting. My laptop is a Pentium 100 Toshiba and have had
> very very similar experiences with it. For example, sometimes I could
> use its serial port to program PIC devices with a serial programmer
> ONLY if I booted DOS 6.2 from a floppy, never Windows 95 DOS mode
> worked at all for that.

Hmm --- this sound more like a hardware-problem to me.  Certainly both
_should_ work equally well, as long as your serial port has a working
FIFO (which should be true for any Pentium-based computer, as by that
time the serial chips were long past their teething troubles...).

> So, expect anything if you connect to it anything but probably a
> mouse!

Nah, at 9600 pretty much any serial port ever build should work if