Re: Free old Borland compilers at the Borland online museum!

Hi Jack / All

I use their Turbo Pascal v5.5.
Works fine, only ticks (internal timer) should be on.
You could do that with one of the PC3000 utils that are available in one of the
FTP archives mentioned on Sven's site.
So either switch to non-powersaving mode completely or just switch on this ticks then it's OK.
This small util is called Tickon and another Tickoff to switch it off again.

Regards

L.G.C.M. Arendsen (Leo)

E-mail: Leo.G.Arendsen@xxxxxxxxxxx

                      "Rev. Jack R.
                      Swindell                     To:  "'sharp-pc3k@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'"
                      {jack@xxxxxxxxxx              <sharp-pc3k@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      }" <jack                     cc:  (bcc: Leo.G. Arendsen/EHV/IPS/PHILIPS)
                                                   Subject:   Free old Borland compilers at the Borland online
                      10/24/02 05:25                museum!
                      PM
                                                   Classification:

I still had one of my old Turbo Pascal 3 manuals (I used to have two
licensed copies) but the diskettes were destroyed in Hurricane Marilyn a few
years ago.  As I started thinking about developing for the PC-3000, I was
wishing that I still had them.  I was in for a pleasant surprise.  The
Borland Developer Network started up an online museum about their old
software and historical things of interest.  They've made a lot of their
early compilers available for free download after you register (no charge)
with their developer site.  I was able to replace all of my lost Turbo
Pascal software, and naturally I wrote to thank them.

I haven't gotten to try it on the PC-3000 yet, but it was very well behaved
stuff indeed back when I used to use it a lot.  I'd be surprised if it
didn't work on the PC-3000.  Anyway, they've got a lot of other their other
old development software on line too, including versions of Turbo C.  The
page on Turbo Pascal 3.02 mentions that it is available free to the Borland
community, and that it may be downloaded "as is" for personal use, and of
course there isn't any support available and be sure to read all of their
licensing and usage-related information on the page.  They also mention that
that copyrights are still in force.  So, if you want someone else to be able
to get them, just send them a link to the Borland Museum page and they can
register and download it from there.  Let's do all that we can to encourage
them to make tools like this continue to be available.  Small disk space and
small memory space development software for DOS is nice for those still
working with DOS boxes.

http://community.borland.com/museum/

Best wishes,
Jack