Task-Swapper

Hi,

lately I experimented a bit with task-switching programs, which
basically give you more then one shell to work in.  Software Carousel
on the HP is a famous example.

Well, I do not have access to Software Carousel, but I do have have
access to the Dosshell and to FastFlip --- the former comes with DOS
5.x, and the latter can be found at many a Shareware archive (just
google for "fastflip dos").  The latter is Shareware (wonder if the
author still exists though...)

Well, both aren't perfect.  Worst of all:

a) Both won't run on the Sharp PC3100.  Dosshell flatly refuses to run
   at all.  FastFlip _should_ run, and indeed does start up (you have
   to set the screen to "mode mono" to see anything, but strangely to
   "mode bw80" to configure the beast).  It even switches to another
   shell, starts whatever program you configured --- and then the
   computer just hangs until the next reboot.  Any help here would be
   greatly appreciated!

Other than that, here's a comparison:

FastFlip:
+ mostly works
+ reserves memory at startup, so no surprises
+ Can use ems, xms, and two different disks
- reserves a fixed amount of memory for each configured shell, even if
  the shell is never opened, or would need a lot less memory.
- crashes occasionally (seemed to collide with the VC's ems usage, among
  others)
- can not be configured while running (well, some...)
- Is _officially_ Shareware, but you might find it difficult to spend
  your money...

Dosshell:
+ (possibly) free if you happen to have DOS 5.x laying around
+ only reserves as much memory as is currently needed
- if, while switching back from a shell, it can not allocate enough
  memory, you are in deep shit.
- Cursor tends to disappear.
- Tends to confuse the different video-modes (and then crash, more
  often than not)
- It really is more intrusive than FastFlip.

BTW, despite the name FastFlip isn't really any faster than Dosshell,
it just feels faster as it restores video first, not last.

If you have tried any other task-swapper, I would welcome a
comparison.  I would particularly welcome any words of wisdom on
running a task-swapper on the Sharp PC3100 (maybe Software Carousel
works?).  The main reason I use the Poqet more and more, and the Sharp
less and less (well, except for the Poqet being equipped with new
batteries, which really make all the difference) is my inability to
run a taskswapper on that machine.  I would also welcome a link to the
author of FastFlip (both to ask for help with the Sharp, as well as to
pay).

Thanks

Sven
--
 _  __                     The Cognitive Systems Group
| |/ /___  __ _ ___                                       University of Hamburg
| ' </ _ \/ _` (_-<  phone:    +49 (0)40 42883-2576      Vogt-Koelln-Strasse 30
|_|\_\___/\__, /__/  fax  :    +49 (0)40 42883-2572             D-22527 Hamburg
          |___/ http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~utcke/home.html