[Sharp-pc3k] pc3k keyboard oddity+laplink

I have just ressurrected mine after a crash some 4 years back! After having
helped so many in the poast with this machine, I am once again humbled by
its shortcommings! Inasmuch as all the drivers on a 2Mb SRAM card were lost
after the battery expired and then realised *I HAD TO* try  laplink with
modern laptops to get it all running again!

Well, luckily the skill hasn't totally deserted me. I managed after several
hours to get Laplink running without any fuss at all - as if it always did
and it was us silly owners not getting the deal!!

The trick was a bit of a workround and as follows.

I recovered an old 810Mb laptop HDD that had Bad sectors. I reformatted it
and loaded DOS 6.22 as it requires such a small amount of disk real estate I
didn't hit ant Bad Blocks.

I then had a good look at all the cables and connectors I have collected
over years and desperately tried to fathom out what used to work for me in
the past... Anyway, as expected all I got was the annoying squealing BLEEP
from the PC3k laplink telling to check the com port numbers and cables.....!

So, I did, but using Laplink Pro for Windows with 2 laptops to gage the
cables /port numbers needed for a successful connection. Eventually I got a
Bootstrap 'tween 2 pentium lappies and that sent me back to the PC3k to
retry.

So on an old Compaq LTE 5100  P90 laptop I inserted the DOS 6.22 HDD and
connected via serial ports to the PC3K and of course loaded MODE.COM from
the Command dir to the root drive. I also wrote a simple couple of .BAT
files to do the typing at the command line - you know the

Mode com1:2400,n,8,1,p
ctty com1

- as it gets painful after about 100 times!

Anyway nothing... then a bootstrap - Hooray!

Then a divide overflow error on the laptop. Then just com port error message
on the PC3K Laplink screen after subsequent tries... So I delved through all
my floppy backups/utils for the PC3k I duely did in 1996/6 and I had hived
off the PC3k DOS 3.3 files and Laplink files. So I loaded these into the
laptop and tried Laplinking in reverse using the PC3k as the remote. No...

So then I delelted the DOS 6.22 Mode.com file and replaced it with the DOS
3.3 PC3K version and got a 'Wrong DOS version', but at that point I nearly
gave up, but only to realise that after pressing F10 again, they had actually connected and there was the
PC3K D: drive in the split screen. At bloody last.

So this time I have made specific notes as to the setup procedures.

Now on to a really annoying problem. When I hit the left arrow (cursor) key,
it brings up the Filem+ box, or if attempting to move around an Edit file,
sticks the backslash   \   symbol and if you move down it inserts one along
in a diagonal pattern??

Anyone have this problem before? I have checked the languages and keyboard
settings but nothing odd there...

One thing it could be. I think a NiCad battery 'gassed' and it may have
coated/corroded some part of the circuit as I had green batt terminals and a
dark stain on the bvattery door...?

ANyway, mixed tidings...

My PC3k webpages are now at:

http://home.freeuk.com/hieroglyph/index.htm