Minix on the PC3k

So, you like linux, do you?  You'd like to run it on your PC3k, would
you?  Well, come on down, have I got a deal for you!

Mike Kopplin, an HP-200 LX user and minix guru, has generously compiled
a version of the minix kernel that will run on the PC3k.  He created a
small subset of the total package of this linux-like operating system
and the result is a package that will fit into 2 MB.

I have successfully downloaded the two files needed into my 2 MB SRAM
card and loaded minix using the loadlin-like boot.com utility. This
opens the dosminix.mnx file and creates a virtual hard disk on the SRAM
card.  I have also logged in as 'root' and sniffed around the contents
in order to determine that the OS runs, and then I have run the
"shutdown" command to reboot back into DOS.  Still to do: figure out how
to read and write to the other drives, which is needed in order to do
useful work.

At this point, about all you can do with minix on the PC3k is learn
something about minix, and by extension, linux.  If someone would like
to do something more with it, please let me know.

PS. you can get the file pc3100_dosminix.zip from my PC3k page at:
http://www.iprimus.ca/~midtoad/PC3k/

cheers,
--
Stewart Midwinter