Re: Possible flash memory supplier? Anyone ever try them?

Hello Jack,

> I've used their 8MB, 128MB and 256MB cards.  Anwyway, I remembered
> that they have an on line .PDF file with some technical information
> on their compact flash cards.  One of the lines reads:
>
> "* 3.3V / 5V single power supply operation"

I suspect these cards wont work, but please try (and please mail the
results for inclusion in
http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~utcke/Laptop/sharp-pc3100.html#cf).

> Hmm...  I wish that the PC-3000 would hurry up and get here so I can give it
> a try.  I thought that I'd try an 8MB card with the "DANE-ELEC CompactFlash
> Adapter TYPE I" but if you look at the PDF file it talks about their adapter
> using a TypeII PC Card slot.(?)

I _think_ that all CF-adapters are Type II.  They do fit in, although
quite snuggly, and if for some reason your particular PC3K should
break, then don't blame me.  That said, I use them all the time, and
it works fine (well, except for the need for a pair of pliers to
remove the adapter again, but I basically leave it in all the time
anyway...).

> I formatted the card in my Canon camera, and Windows 98SE reports
> that it is using 4K clusters.

Don't know about that (but sounds big).

> I'll let you know if it works.  If it does, maybe I can partition
> one of my 128MB cards down to 32MB (I don't have any 32MB cards,
> just 8, 128, and 256).  I've gathered that partitioning MIGHT at
> best let it see the first 32MB partition.

I don't think it will work, but again, please try.

> As soon as I can try some hands on, I'll report back.  I *DID* get a
> bit hopeful when I saw the bit about 3.3V / 5V like maybe they'll do
> either????

In my (limited) experience it just means that they wont work (although
they should.  Sigh).

Sven
--
 _  __                     The Cognitive Systems Group
| |/ /___  __ _ ___                                       University of Hamburg
| ' </ _ \/ _` (_-<  phone:    +49 (0)40 42883-2576      Vogt-Koelln-Strasse 30
|_|\_\___/\__, /__/  fax  :    +49 (0)40 42883-2572             D-22527 Hamburg
          |___/ http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~utcke/home.html