[Sharp-pc3k] Getting to grips with my new gadget.

Many thanks Chris & Mark for your replies.

For Chris:

It is difficult not to compare the Psion 5mx and the Sharp PC-3000 and although the keyboard on the 5mx is slightly larger (although the machine is smaller) I think the Sharp has the upper hand.

I prefer the Psion software solution, by that I mean EPOC and its built in email & office suite. The applications you get with PC-3000 seem a little basic in comparison. However saying that the flexibility of being able to run proper DOS software is a great bonus.

I too go for non-MS, mainly using Apple for desktop/laptop (which is traditional in the publishing industry) and I love retro-computing!

Two slight problems with my PC3k which I hope some one may have an answer are;

Prob 1. I've replaced the backup battery with a Lith 2016 as stated in the user manual, but the machine still says replace it. Any ideas? One thing I've noted is the back of the round cover that the battery clips into doesn't have any contacts, only a plastic holding clips. Which seems odd as I can't understand how a circuit is formed.

Prob 2. Neither my Psion or Apple Powerbook will recognize the 512k SRAM card from the PC3k. Any tips?

If you're still using a 5mx Chris and would like a copy of the Psion mag FOC just drop us an email with your address. This invitation is of course extended to any PC3k Digest reader with a Psion interest.

Cheers,

Will.