Re: [Sharp-pc3k] Getting to grips with my new gadget.

Hello Will,

> It is difficult not to compare the Psion 5mx and the Sharp PC-3000
> and although the keyboard on the 5mx is slightly larger (although
> the machine is smaller) I think the Sharp has the upper hand.

Aehm.  At this I actually dug out both, and I can't figure out any
meaning of the word larger by which the 5mx might come out on top ---
spacing between keys (pitch?) is about the same, there are just many
more keys on the pc3k.  I would agree though that the pc3k has the
better keyboard, and not only because it is more standard in its
layout.

> I prefer the Psion software solution, by that I mean EPOC and its
> built in email & office suite. The applications you get with PC-3000
> seem a little basic in comparison. However saying that the
> flexibility of being able to run proper DOS software is a great
> bonus.

I used to think that running xtm http://www.nb-info.co.uk/xtminfo.htm
on the Psion would give me both.  Xtm is indeed very capable (albeit
pretty slow, about 1/4 to 1/8 the speed of the pc3k, depending on what
you do), but the file-system in both my 5mx and 5mx-pro is virtually
always corrupted, meaning I keep losing data, can't read some data,
and generally can't rely on the Psion.

However, for internet-access over a mobile phone, say, it beats the
pc3k, no question.

> Prob 1. I've replaced the backup battery with a Lith 2016 as stated in
> the user manual, but the machine still says replace it. Any ideas? One
> thing I've noted is the back of the round cover that the battery clips
> into doesn't have any contacts, only a plastic holding clips. Which
> seems odd as I can't understand how a circuit is formed.

Side and bottom, as someone else pointed out.

> Prob 2. Neither my Psion or Apple Powerbook will recognize the 512k
> SRAM card from the PC3k. Any tips?

I'm sure there's something on this in the archive.  I remember that I
could do it using win95 and some DOS-drivers.  I _think_ I could do it
using Linux (but might be wrong).  In any case I would say it was
painfull...

> If you're still using a 5mx Chris and would like a copy of the Psion
> mag FOC just drop us an email with your address. This invitation is of
> course extended to any PC3k Digest reader with a Psion interest.

Well, here's one :-)

Greetings

Sven
--
 _  __                     The Cognitive Systems Group
| |/ /___  __ _ ___                                       University of Hamburg
| ' </ _ \/ _` (_-<  phone:    +49 (0)40 42883-2576      Vogt-Koelln-Strasse 30
|_|\_\___/\__, /__/  fax  :    +49 (0)40 42883-2572             D-22527 Hamburg
          |___/ http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~utcke/home.html