Re: Fw: Sandisk Flash Disk Compatibility - any PC3K work arounds?

> Phones like Nokia 5110 need "software modem" which is a program that
> needs a pentium class computer.
[...]
> Howewer in Germany for example it is useless, because you need some
> special tarif programme to be able to make a internet calls, it is
> not possible with prepaid services (as far I know, Sven can probably
> tell more about it) All internet dialup numbers (0193??) are blocked
> here.

Well, I haven't been able to try it yet, as I apparently fell for one
of the above-mentioned softmodems (I entered the shop expecting to
buy a Siemens, but the Motorola v50 is just so sweet, and I _always_
wanted one of them (even though I never actually wanted a cell-phone
:-))...

However, it is my understanding that, while the classical call-by-call
(010??) numbers are blocked, there are a small number of providers who
offer call-by-call based on local phone numbers, and these could be
used.  As for the 019??-numbers, I'm not sure whether these are
blocked or not --- after all, they are also needed for phone-sex :-)
At any rate this would not be cheap, but sure would be cute (mobile
internet with the PC3k, that is, not phone-sex :-)

Sven
--
 _  __                     The Cognitive Systems Group
| |/ /___  __ _ ___                                       University of Hamburg
| ' </ _ \/ _` (_-<  phone:    +49 (0)40 42883-2576      Vogt-Koelln-Strasse 30
|_|\_\___/\__, /__/  fax  :    +49 (0)40 42883-2572             D-22527 Hamburg
          |___/ http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~utcke/home.html