Re: HDD for pc3100 (was: Memory- Card / Dos for Sharp)

Hello Sven,

SU> Hallo Radek,

>> For the memory cards: Look at usenet group comp.sys.palmtops Sometimes there
>> is for sell something like this. I bought two 1 meg SRAM cards for 28$/each
>> that way. It was really cheap for new SRAM card. (some close-out)

SU> Which brings up an interesting question:  How much would I expect to
SU> pay for 10M or 20M?  US$28/1MB seems incredibly expensive, at least
SU> nowadays.

I don't know. But Flash cards are much cheaper than SRAMs. I quess
about 40$ for 10MB.

>> There is a idea that some Compact flash may work in Pc3k. But it needs
>> reduction for PCMCIA II which is too big to fit in PC3k.

SU> Isn't CF available in PCMCIA too?

I think CF is standard for cards itself. It is smaller and has
different conector. They are used in digital cameras.

>> Also you can try to find a External Box for 2,5" IDE drive. I have one and
>> it is working fine. It is smaller than PC3k and very handy. On PC3k
>> works with any HDD splitted into 32 MB partitions. Reading is very
>> slow because of unidirectional LPT on PC3k.

SU> So how did you connect the disk to the computer?  Using the printer
SU> port, obviously, but how exactly?

Paralel port. You need reduction. You can make one by yourself. You
can built your own device but the Integrated circuit for this purpose
is very expensive. I bought used box for 2,5" HDD (It can handle
IDE CD-ROM as well) The price of this box was 1300 CZk (about
37$) It needs 5Volts power supply. I use 4x1,2V AA NICds
My Box is about 60% size of PC3k.
I can send a drivers needed for this device or upload them to PC3k
FTP.

Radek