Re[2]: Memory- Card / Dos for Sharp

Hello Stewart,

SM> Radek Svaqr wrote:

>> ... Also you can try to find a External Box for 2,5" IDE drive. I have one and
>> it is working fine. It is smaller than PC3k and very handy. On PC3k
>> works with any HDD splitted into 32 MB partitions. Reading is very
>> slow because of unidirectional LPT on PC3k.

SM> You say you are using a hard drive with the PC3k?  Is that connected through the
SM> parallel port?

Yes. Paralel port. HITACHI Shuttle. Model number I don't remember. I
have a 85 MB HDD inside. Splitted into three parts. Teoretically it
should work wit Gigabyte HDDs but for XT clas computer is 85MB
absolutely enough.
Home made paralel port reduction. As I described in e-mail some time
ago.

Reading is at the same speed like Stacked SRAM card.

SM> The PC3k has a bus connector on the back, supposedly for connecting a hard drive,
SM> but I don't know of anyone that has done that.

I was trying it. Again home made conector (UH it was dificult)  I tried to connect
MFM Hard drive with controler with built in bios. (No XT bios is able to handle HDD
itself). I must say that I was UNsuccesfull. Because the ISA bus conector in PC3k is
not active. I quess it needs some special response from external device
(probably pins 7,8 = Exp. chasis detect logic). I haven't original Floppy drive for
PC3k, so I can't do any investigation. The IRQ signals, the DREQ signals a few more
are not active. (For example the Parity check IS active, I don't know
why this one unneded is and the others not:-))

Radek