Re: How??? PC3k and Laplink

> 1. The laplink in the PC3100 will only communicate with the laplink
>    that it or any other PC3100 installs on another machine.

True, but note that a copy of such a version can be downloaded from
the pc3k ftp-site (presumably called laplink.zip or somesuch).

> That is, you cannot disk copy the PC3100 laplink to another computer
> and expect it to work.  You must let a PC3100 install it on the
> other computer OR use a copy of the laplink that a PC3100 has
> installed.  I am not sure which version is on the Sharp ftp site.

A copy as installed by the Sharp.  Worked for me, at least.

> 2. I did some checks with different PCs and operating systems to see
>    which will work with the PC3100 installed laplink.
>
> - Celeron 466 PC with Windows 98 booted to dos does not work.
> - Celeron 466 PC booted from a dos 6.22 floppy does not work.
> - Toshiba Pentium 75 laptop with Windows 95c booted to dos does not work.
> - Toshiba Pentium 75 laptop booted from a dos 6.22 floppy DOES work.
> - Old Intel 486 DX66 PC running dos 6.22 DOES work.
>
> So it seems there are hardware as well as DOS or BIOS compatibility issues.

I always assumed that this is an OS + Speed issue...

Sven
--
      IBM Thinkpad 701C, 80486 DX4/75, 40MB RAM, 3.2GB HDD, Linux 2.0.36