Re: I'm New

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tofler Family" <distof@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <utcke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>;
<sharp-pc3k@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 1:47 PM
Subject: Re: I'm New

> Thanks for the help everyone but I'm still having trouble. From what I've
> worked I probably have flash cards which means (shudder) transfering files
> through laplink.
>
> I am having problems with this these are the steps I've taken.
>
> 1. Downloaded laplink onto my computer.

Was this the laplink from the Sharp PC3100?  The laplink inside the Sharp
will only work with a copy of itself.  From my experience, you cannot use a
generic copy of laplink with the Sharp laplink.   The only way I have been
able to
laplink to the Sharp is to get the Sharp to remotely install laplink on the
other computer.  There are instructions for this in the manual.   The other
thing is that it will only remotely install in an older computer running DOS
5 or thereabouts.
To install it remotely, you connect up the two computers with the cable,
next you issue the command "tty com1" on the remote computer and then issue
the install laplink command on the Sharp.

> 2. Connected computers with cable to COM1 port of my computer.
> 3. Ran Laplink on the PC 3100
> 4.Ran Laplink on my computer.
>
> Nothing happens.
>
> Would the fact that my computer runs XP make anything different.

Yes it could be, I cannot run the Sharp laplink successfully on Win98, so XP
might be the same.
To transfer files to and from my Sharp, I ended up installing good old
"Telix" on the Sharp and then use Windows Hyperterm to Z modem files.
The other thing I did was to install an FTP server on the Sharp from NCSA
using a SLIP link on the serial port.  Then you can FTP to and from it.

Hope you get it going!

Glenn.