Re: Fwd: Re: Looking for - Wordperfect = PoqetPc info

> I've always heard them referred to as "point enablers" -- so maybe you
were
> right both times, Bill!
> (*grin*)
>
> -- Bryan
> <http://www.bmason.com/PoqetPC/>

Thanks for responding, Bryan.  So you know exactly what I am referring to!!

Working with the Poqet, I am always interested in programs that release
themselves totally from RAM after quitting.  Here's the line that pointed
(pun unintended) this out:

"For the technically aware, what would appear to happen is that the BIOS
contains sniffers and point enablers for the supported PCMCIA devices, which
are loaded, I presume, at the end of POST. These configure the PCMCIA
controller for whatever devices the sniffers find in each socket, then
*disappear*."  This comes from the PC110 site:
http://www.basterfield.com/pc110/PCMCIA.htm, additional related info re
point enablers is also here:
http://www.basterfield.com/pc110/bios/startup.htm

This was the BIOS software/instructions I was referring to; I was hoping the
110 and Poqet used point enablers in the same way.  There's a point in the
Intel boot sequence that jumps from the BIOS to a specific address in RAM
and begins to execute any program that is there.  My idea is to insert a
home-grown point enabler to be able to read Flash ATA Cards in the Poqet
Classic and save RAM in the process.  I see that others have been able to
configure Flash cards with the Poqet Plus through config.sys.  Has anyone
heard of success stories of breaking out of SRAM type writable cards under
the Classic and their 2Mb restrictions?  (Beside using XIP cards -which
technically is not a writable media, I think.  And the use of a IOMEGA
Parallel Zip 100 Drive (subdivided into 3 separate 32Mg partitions, using
PalmZip.)  It would be nice to begin using other higher capacity media
self-contained within the Classic, now that cost has dropped so
uch.  --Bill