Re: I'm New

>  I recently acquired the PC-3000 manual on E-Pay. While it answered some
> of my questions, I'm still hopelessly at sea regarding the confusing subject of
> PCMCIA/SDRAM/Flash cards.

Whats confusing you?  Basically: sram (not sdram) cards will work out
of the box, flash needs a driver.

>  I ,also, am unable to access the UK FAQ site. I get an "unauthorized" error
> message. Possibly you could contact the site's owner SVEN to see what
> the problem is.

He's called Sven too?
Well, since it is dubious how long this site might still exist, I
wonder if someone might be willing to mirror it?

>  I found the site of  LEAD DATA who makes the Compact Flash card which
> Glenn Sneddon posted he had managed to get a 32MB card working. It is
>
> http://www.leaddata.com.tw/

Jepp, (some) 32MB CF cards work.

>  They have these cards at up to 256 MB and at reasonable prices. Any
> chance that one of these that size might work in a 3K ?

Not above 32MB.  Not even partly.  DOS 3.x can only deal with
partitions up to 32MB, and the CF driver can only deal with one
partition...

> Unfortunately I have still been unable to find a Laplink or serial
> cable. Anyone know a source ? I might have to do the serial
> modification if not.

Look up the mail-archive, there are instructions on how to make your own.

>  There's a small rectangular springed button on the rear edge just above the
> battery compartment of my PC-3000. There's no mention of it in the manual.
> Does anyone know its purpose ?

It's unused, but was apparently meant as an indicator switch for some
never manufactured accesoir.

> The only clue I have is that my Internal battery doesn't appear to
> be functioning.

Nothing to do with that.  Maybe try cleaning the contacts?

Sven
--
      IBM Thinkpad 701C, 80486 DX4/75, 40MB RAM, 3.2GB HDD, Linux 2.0.36